Followers

January 4, 2013

Ali Nachia Briyani Dam - Singapore

Recently my ex-colleague recommended a nice Biryani place in Singapore. Since my colleague is a known foodie, I had no reason to disbelieve his recommendation. At Ali Nachia Biryani Dam shop, he recommended that we take mutton biryani with ribs. The mutton biryani that we bought tasted amazingly good.


The quantity was sufficient enough not to feel too full or too less. Mutton was perfectly cooked and most importantly without the usual after smell of the meat. Rice grains were long, not sticking to each other and less oily.



The biryani is of Malay style and not Hyderabadi style. It is called Nasi Briyani (spelling is correct!), where Nasi refers to rice and briyani refers to Basmati rice.

During the lunch, he told me the story about Ali Nachia Biryani Dam shop. Originally it was located in Tanjong Pagar railway station for more than 3 decades with reasonably roaring business. When the railway station was closed, they were asked to relocate to Tanjong Pagar Plaza.

In the process, unfortunately, the owner Mohd. Ali Latif lost most of his loyal clientele. Added to that the shop has a locational disadvantage being at a corner behind a pillar on second floor. The going has not been that good for Latif after the relocation.

Ali Nachia Biryani Dam sells mutton, chicken and fish biryani. As on date of this post, it costs SGD 7. They are closed on Sundays. Generally, Mohd. Ali Latif and his wife will be there at the shop. Mild, friendly and humble Malay couple.

Though I was introduced to this shop only two weeks ago, I have already gone thrice to this shop, once along with a friend.




The shop is situated at:

Level 2, Tanjong Pagar Plaza (the end nearer to Tanjong Pagar Market), clean with B grade certificate. My rating for the food here is 4 stars out of 5.

Running a restaurant business is tough in Singapore and it will be a shame if popular biryani shops like Ali's are folded.

If you are reading this post from Singapore, please visit this shop and try out the mutton biryani with ribs. If you like it, please ask your friends also to patronise Ali Latif's shop.

If you are reading this post from out side of Singapore, please share this with your Singapore based friends and ask them to try out.

Btw, hailing from Biryanibad, i.e., Hyderabad, known for the world famous dum-biryani, I quite liked this variation.


Poor imitations of 'Hyderabadi dum-biryani' is sold in a number of restaurants in Singapore. But, I am yet to get the satisfaction that I get when I devour chicken biryani from Paradise restaurant on MG Road or Cafe Bahar in Hyderguda.

Btw, my global hunt for a perfect match for Hyderabadi dum-biryani is still on... :)

10 comments:

  1. hope they get more customers. it would be really sad if a quality restaurant doesn't get customers because people are not aware of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my 12 years in Singapore, i never tasted a single place serving Biryani that tasted anything like Hyderabad (though everyone boasted they served dum biryani). Neverthless, i loved the food scene in Singapore the most. So much variety available in such a small place. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ravi,

    The Biryani is always welcomed by Indians living abroad and it's difficult to search for such good places in a foreign land. Thanks for sharing the info and the location of this outlet with all of us. Will try it on my next trip to Singapore. :)

    Regards

    Jay
    My Blog | My FB Page

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. After trying, please leave your feedback.

      Delete
  4. I had no idea biryani was also a Malaysian dish. Nice post. Hope they get more customers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to know about this restaurant. Will try my best to visit this restaurant when I happen to be in Tanjong Pagar.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I blog quite often and I really appreciate your content. Your article has truly peaked my interest. I will bookmark your website and keep checking for new details about once a week. I subscribed to your Feed as well.IBCBET

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Guys,
    Check Arcot Nawab Restaurant its really great place for Authentic South Indian Biryani.

    ReplyDelete